Having recently read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, the Greek Stoics have fascinated me. Paul Jun over at 99u just wrote a great article summing up 9 of their points.
The goal of Stoicism is to attain inner peace by overcoming adversity, practicing self-control, being conscious of our impulses, realizing our ephemeral nature and the short time allotted—these were all meditative practices that helped them live with their nature and not against it. It’s important that we understand the obstacles that we face and not run from them; it’s vital that we learn to transmute them into fuel to feed our fire.
- All emotions come from within
- Choose someone that you want to mirror and use them as a sounding board
- Recognize that life exists after failures
- Read constantly, and apply your knowledge
- Challenge yourself to be honest
- Reflect on what you spend your time doing
- Remind yourself you were meant to do, not loaf about
- Be present
- Time is your most precious resource
Check out the full article: Click Here!