I was attending a leadership conference at work yesterday and our guest speaker was a West Point graduate and he discussed some of the leadership principles that are at the core of West Point graduates. I am sharing them below, but they are just as valuable in the business world as they are in the Military.
- Know yourself and seek self-improvement.
- Be technically and tactically proficient.
- Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.
- Make sound and timely decisions.
- Set the example.
- Know your soldiers and look out for their well-being. Keep your subordinates informed.
- Develop a sense of responsibility in your subordinates.
- Ensure that the task is understood, supervised, and accomplished
- Build the team.
- Employ your unit in accordance with its capabilities.